I went to both places within the last few weeks and, in my (totally humble) opinion, Ramon Freixa beats Sergi Arola hands down. And here are the reasons:
1. The place: RFM is beautiful, huge tables away from each other, really comfortable chairs, after lunch drinks are great; everything invites to enjoy the food and the conversation. SAG has way too many tables, too close together, the decoration is just meh, chairs are just ok. It was empty and we still got sat down in the middle of the room and it felt cold. They didn’t offer us drinks after lunch.
2. The food: Both places are into the same type of cuisine. Both chefs are good, but RF has some brilliance that SG lacks, like the latter was more interested in execution than taste.
3. The bread: OMG, OMG, OMG. RFM has the best bread I have ever eaten.
4. The service: Both are good, but I had to ask for water twice in SAG. And we were pretty much alone.
5. The overall experience: The first time I went to RFM I said I wasn’t very hungry; he took that into account and made me wonderful food, that I could finish and not die in the process. The second time I went, I was hungry and I could eat a lot and almost die in the process. When I went to SAG I had to eat one of their menus and by the time we got to the starters I wasn’t even hungry anymore. I didn’t feel like they were adapting the experience to me, but that I had to adapt to the experience.
For food pics, try Yumit 🙂